- The Progressive Pulse - http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org -
Pro-choice advocate: House Speaker right about one thing
Posted By Rob Schofield On December 16, 2013 @ 2:18 pm In Uncategorized | Comments Disabled
NARAL Pro-Choice NC  Director Suzanne Buckley agrees with House Speaker Thom Tillis about one very important matter — there were a lot of losers in North Carolina as a result of the 2013 legislative session. Check out the latest statement from her group:
“Last week, House Speaker Thom Tillis disregarded North Carolinians opposed to his extreme agenda at the NC General Assembly as ‘whining coming from losers’ in an interview with Politico.
‘Speaker Tillis’ comments are the latest in a series of disparaging and disrespectful remarks about North Carolinians from extreme leaders in Raleigh,’ said Suzanne Buckley, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina. From Governor McCrory’s ‘I don’t care’ response to Cookiegate in July to NC Senator Rucho’s Twitter rant, NC GOP leaders have a lot to get off their chests these days.
‘At least Tillis was right about one thing—the unemployed, teachers, military families, young people, immigrants, workers, and women are the losers under Tillis’ leadership,’ she added. Thousands of North Carolinians, especially women, suffered significant losses in the Tillis-led 2013 legislative session. Under Tillis’ leadership, the NCGA:
* Denied access to health care to 200,000 women by failing to expand Medicaid.
* Attacked access to safe and legal abortion care in a late-night sneak attack that could shutdown all but one women’s health center in the state.
* Passed voting restrictions that disproportionately impact women.
* Stripped 367,149 public employees of access to comprehensive health care.
* Funneled $250,000 in taxpayer dollars to crisis pregnancy centers who routinely use manipulation and medically inaccurate information to block women from making fully informed choices.
‘Speaker Tillis’ attitude towards the NC women and families hurt by the legislature is appalling but not surprising given his record on reproductive issues,’ Buckley continued. ‘Speaker Tillis led the campaign to defund Planned Parenthood in 2011 and supported SB 353, an anti-choice wish list of restrictions on access to abortion care. North Carolinians deserve leaders that respect the people they were elected to serve regardless of their political differences,’ said Buckley.”
Article printed from The Progressive Pulse: http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org
URL to article: http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2013/12/16/pro-choice-advocate-house-speaker-right-about-one-thing/
URLs in this post:
 NARAL Pro-Choice NC: http://www.prochoicenc.org/
Copyright © 2014 The Progressive Pulse. All rights reserved.