Comparing and contrasting responses to public comments about Nazis

Bob RuchoSenator Bob Rucho is far from the first person to make the boneheaded mistake of comparing something in modern American politics to Nazi Germany; lots of people have made the same ridiculous error. That said, it is interesting to compare and contrast the responses that such comments can provoke.

Four months ago when UNC-TV host D.G. Martin — a Democrat — made an ill-considered allusion/comparison to Nazi Germany in one of his syndicated columns, Claude Pope, the head on the North Carolina Republican Party, called Martin derogatory names and demanded he be ousted from his TV job. Now mind you, this was despite the fact Martin immediately apologized for having made the comparison and does not hold a position of political or government leadership.

Compare this to the Rucho flap — a situation in which the senator (one of the most powerful elected officials in North Carolina) has refused to apologize and, indeed, has doubled-down on the comment by claiming critics are members of “socialist elites.”  This time, all Pope has done is call for an apology.

Perhaps Pope has a plan to help promote a primary opponent against Rucho in 2014 — rumors have it that this may be the case — but if he really believes that such offensive comparisons ought to be grounds for removal from office, he ought to say so publicly and today.

1. GOP Rules

December 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I find it funny how none of your links are to an outraged….I say outraged hysterical post at the pulse blog, whereas there are what? Now three posts about Rucho.

I guess the apologies are only requested here when the target is to be “evicerated” not when it is “one of us”. Maybe compare and contrast the liberal progressive response too.

2. Alan

December 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Yet more word salad from Civitas…

3. ML

December 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm

GOP how are you not outraged by ruco’s tweets?

4. Frances Jenkins

December 17, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I was outraged by Senator Doug Berger’s comments. Are you outraged?

5. ML

December 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Enlighten me as to berger’s comments….

6. Dennis Culin

December 18, 2013 at 9:37 am

Rucho’s comments demonstrate his grasp on reality – it’s obviously precarious and quite evident he should not be in a position of power. Pope’s lack of comment demonstrates his hypocrisy – it’s only an issue if “misstatements” are made by Democrats. Unfortunately, this is simply what we have come to expect from the Republican Party in NC.

7. Dan Montgomery

December 18, 2013 at 10:24 am

Help!

In following this debate there seems to be a great deal of outrage directed toward Rucho for essentially sounding an alarm in regard to the direction of our nation (as he sees it).

What is the answer to his point?

Some argue that If Socialist Nazis and Communists each dabbled in there own forms of the ACA, then how can Rucho’s comparison be unfair?

How do I argue with this point?

8. GOP Rules

December 18, 2013 at 10:33 am

Dennis,
    The exact same thing applies here to the Pulse. I hesitate to use something from Alan/ML, but your comment is the exact same “word salad” but in a mirror. When a democrat (or some other chosen member of the “good ole’ boy network”) in NC uses the word nazi, there are crickets chirping all around here…but when it just so happens to be a person with an R beside them….then as Foghorn Leghorn would say— OUTRAGE I say, Outrage! He must apoligize! Have him drawn, quartered, and burned at the stake!

9. GOP Rules

December 18, 2013 at 10:35 am

And I should say….I am not outraged by either a democrat or republican saying stupid things….do you not expect stupid things to come from politicians anyway? What is the true outrage is some people do not expect something stupid from them regardless of party.

10. ML

December 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

It’s sad that you expect so little out of people.

11. ML

December 18, 2013 at 11:25 am

And Dan. That point can be made without bringing up some of the worst authorities in human history, maybe try something like the worst thing since Voodoo Economics or Vohlstead Act…

12. ML

December 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

Autrocities not authorities*

13. Dan Montgomery

December 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Wordsalad?

My problem is that in a discussion thread one guy said that the pre-war Germany had there own version of the ACA. (he used the term Nazi…)

So, I thought I’d look it up and squash him.

As it turns out Germany did have their own version of the ACA. As a result I couldn’t counter this idiot who was comparing Nazis to Democrats.

I do not want to just “shout” at the guy as valid as it might be. I want to prove him wrong. I want to prove to him and anyone reading that Democrats and pre-war Germany stand apart from each other in every way including healthcare.

I am looking for a rational, thoughtful argument and this seemed like a good place to go.

14. Steve Harrison

December 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Dan, Germany’s socialized healthcare predated the Nazi movement by several decades, and it didn’t even remotely resemble the Affordable Care Act of today. In fact, the NC DHHS’s move towards managed care comes a lot closer to the sometimes harsh institutional nature of Germany’s program(s) than Obamacare does/will, but you won’t hear a peep out of Rucho mentioning that.

15. wncgirl

December 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

So before the Nazi Democrats came up with the ACA the Nazi Republicans at the Heritage Foundation came up with it… for it before against it after… what you say? What I say is which party is the more hateful towards women, people of a darker hue, the poor, those with alternative lifestyles? I think we all know the answer to that one…

16. GOP Rules

December 18, 2013 at 4:08 pm

ML…..such is the state of all politicians. If you are placing faith in them, they are going to disappoint you more times than not. I too am sad that people in that profession are only concerned with power, oppression of freedom, and the continual expansion of government. This should be expected though, government is an invention of humans, and humans who are attracted to controlling other people are usually the one’s who will be the first to become corrupt in some way.

17. Dan Montgomery

December 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm

It is good to hear that Germany’s socialized medicine was not a Nazi construct, Steve.

But I don’t feel comfortable arguing that socialized medicine was just a precursor to Nazi control. Surly you can see where that would leave me open to counter argument. Did the Nazi party do away with socialized medicine in Germany? I would ave thought they would have with wartime expenses and all but I don’t want to make assumptions..

While I feel in my heart that the ACA is just and right, I am still having a difficult time arguing against the healthcare parallels these idiots are drawing with prewar Germany or Germany or Nazi Germany.

I want to defend the ACA but I don’t want to sound shrill.
    The best argument is the rational one.

18. Alan

December 18, 2013 at 5:54 pm

GOP Rules, wouldn’ that be drow dalas instead?

19. Dan Montgomery

December 19, 2013 at 8:06 am

My apologies if I came to the wrong place.

20. LayintheSmakDown

December 19, 2013 at 8:26 am

What is drow dalas?

Dan,
    You came to the wrong place if you expected to not be called names if you state an opinion that may be outside of the realm of liberal political correctness. You may also expect to be accused of being on the payroll of Civitas or Art Pope…or maybe Satan (although these guys consider them all to be the same) if you express a view that may be contrary to the popular liberal belief or lean the slightest bit conservative. That way they take the argument away from the facts and with the resources they have you can then be essentially shouted down.

21. Alan

December 19, 2013 at 10:12 am

Word salad in a mirror….”but your comment is the exact same “word salad” but in a mirror”

The “slightest” bit conservative? Only if you regard Atilla The Hun as a fire breathing liburel….

22. LayintheSmakDown