Duke prof: Pope-Civitas maliciously targeting Gene Nichol

As noted in this morning’s edition of the Weekly Briefing,  there are lots of important reasons to be deeply concerned about the decision of a political group funded almost exclusively by the state Budget Director to demand the private correspondence of a prominent McCrory administration critic.

ICYMI, however, Professor Paul Carrington of the Duke University School of Law (the school’s former Dean) authored a column (and then an exchange of letters to the editor - click here for the Civitas letter)  in the Durham Herald-Sun  in recent days that sheds additional light on the subject.

Here is Carrington’s most recent on-the-money take — which was published last Friday:

Civitas not telling whole story about Nichol

The Dec. 10 letters to The Herald-Sun include one from Civitas protesting the opinion I published last Friday.

My opinion was responding to Civitas’ effort to examine all the personal and professional files of UNC Professor Gene Nichol.

Civitas now claims that it was seeking only to investigate the Center on Poverty that Nichol administers.

I have in hand and am sharing with the editor the document served by Civitas on the university and its demand is not limited to his work for that Center on Poverty.

I therefore reiterate my opinion that Civitas was maliciously seeking to find and publicize anything that might embarrass Professor Nichol to punish him for his political views.  And I also note that the new alternative plan of Civitas to open only the files of Nichol’s poor clients would violate those clients’ right to confidentiality.

If he opened them to Civitas, he could lose his license to practice law. More Civitas malice!

Paul D. Carrington
Professor of Law, Duke University
Durham

1. LayintheSmakDown

December 19, 2013 at 8:46 am

What I want to know is what does Nichol have to hide. There must be a lot of skeletons in his closet for him to have mobilized the whole Liberal Mafia.

2. gregflynn

December 19, 2013 at 10:06 am

LOL, spoken by someone with no real name. What do you have to hide?

3. Alan

December 19, 2013 at 10:08 am

LSD,

I’m pretty much sure he doesn’t have anything to hide, the issue here is one of intimidation, something Team Civitas apparently knows a lot about (remember the Moral Monday protesters?). Strange that shortly after that, Civitas removed from it’s webshite a list of it’s people…

I wonder what your reaction would be if Freedom of Information requests were issued for all who work at Civitas?

4. mjhoop

December 19, 2013 at 10:12 am

I’m thinking of making jobs by opening a factory to make and sell brown shirts.
    Target market is anyone who uses such language as ‘Liberal Mafia” and any of the many vulgar and mean-minded permutations of our president’s last name.
    I expect to join the wealth class, but will have my papers in order to leave the country when the brown-shirted join Pope and Company in the coming dictatorship.

5. ML

December 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

He has nothing to hide and is complying with the requests from the pope funded mafia…

6. LayintheSmakDown

December 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Even the News and Record agrees that a state employee mis-using his email and the public records showing the fact should be available.

7. LayintheSmakDown

December 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm

greggy….I thought you all knew my name was Doug and I live in the triangle area. I will not go farther than that because the liberal mafia needs to at least have a challenge when coming to find me.

8. LayintheSmakDown

December 20, 2013 at 8:54 am

Alan,
    To your earlier comment….if Civitas is a public funded, government entity then it would be fine. Since it is not then FOIA does not apply.