UNC’s Roy Williams featured in new video urging Obamacare enrollment

With just 13 days of open enrollment left, the White House is hoping to capitalize a bit on March Madness and get more uninsured Americans to sign-up for health care coverage.

On Monday the Obama administration launched an ACA bracket that includes their own Sweet 16 – that is “The 16 Sweetest Reasons to Get Covered.” Those reasons are accompanied by a collection of animated GIFs viewers can vote on while learning more about the Affordable Care Act and available subsidies.

The new site also features a You Tube video by UNC head basketball coach Roy Williams and Geno Auriemma, head coach of the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team.

Watch their video below, and click here to visit the ACA bracket.

To date, more than 5 million Americans have already signed up for coverage through the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. The deadline to enroll for coverage this year is March 31st.

YouTube Preview Image

1. Alex

March 18, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Is this the same Roy Williams who saw no problem with academics for student athletes at UNC ?

2. Greg

March 18, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Proud Tar Heels!!!! I wonder if he is signed up yet???

3. Alan

March 18, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Proof that Roy Williams actually said that?

4. kathleen

March 18, 2014 at 10:06 pm

How much is our gov’t paying them for this video? Does this give us 2 more jobs they can count?????

5. Laurie

March 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Sad to see Coach Williams as a mouthpiece for Obamacare. Nothing affordable about the Affordable Care Act. My husband and I are self-employed, in our 50′s and must buy our insurance on the individual market, among those hit hardest by non-ACA compliant insurance cancellations last year. We paid around $400/month for a high deductible ($3500) policy that some bureaucrats called a “crap policy”, though it was tailored to what we needed and were willing to pay. An ACA compliant policy on Healthcare.gov with a $7000 deductible (twice our old policy) is $1041 – $640 MORE PER MONTH than we were paying for a policy that we were happy with. BUT, we have maternity care, substance abuse treatment and free birth control pills! Yay! Get informed, Roy.

6. Tommie

March 18, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Roy, I’ve been a Tar Heel fan for probably 40 years. This makes me sick to my stomach. What do they have on you?

7. Alex

March 19, 2014 at 12:06 am

Where in the world have you been Alan for the last six months ? These are Williams exact words on the academic scandal :

“I’m really proud of the kids we’ve brought in there. I’m really proud of what our student-athletes have done. That’s not fair. I’ve been here ten recruiting classes I guess. We haven’t brought in anyone like that. We’ve had one senior since I’ve been here that did not gradute. Anybody can make any statement they want to make, that’s not fair. The University of North Carolina doesn’t do that. The University of North Carolina doesn’t stand that. I don’t believe its true and I am really, really bothered by the whole thing. People have taken their chances and been beating up on us for quite awhile but we’re going to survive” this. I am really proud of our kids. Anybody that says anything like that, it’s not right.

8. Alan

March 19, 2014 at 6:12 am

Alex, how you make the connection that Roy Williams “saw no problem with academics for student athletes at UNC” from that is beyond me. So, you’re saying he knew all along and was complicit?

9. Alex

March 19, 2014 at 8:25 am

It’s fairly obvious Alan that everyone at UNC from top to bottom knew what was going on, and chose to ignore it despite repeated warnings from the academic counselors. As they say with the Geico ads Alan…..everybody knows that !

10. Ray Buchanan

March 19, 2014 at 11:34 am

They know at UNC——and everywhere else, too.

11. Brian

March 19, 2014 at 11:39 am

Laurie, previously you could have been kicked off your health care plan if you max out after becoming seriously ill. Not now. I bet you have better coverage also. I am also self-employed and it was cheaper for me.

12. Robert Ramsey

March 19, 2014 at 11:55 am

Please stay out of this mess Roy! Rates going up and quality going down

13. Alan

March 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Alex, my only recommendation is that you never agree to jury duty. You would have the individual executed before hearing the evidence.

14. Rastus

March 19, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I have a lot of respect for Coach Williams as Carolina basketball coach but I think he needs to leave politics out of this. There may be a lot of the Ram’s Club donors who do not agree with his endorsement. Just a thought.

15. Dallas

March 19, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Roy, please leave politics to our elected reps. Have you actually read the over 2000 page ACA?

16. Dave

March 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I can’t believe Roy Williams would do this.

17. Glenn

March 19, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I am terribly embarassed and extremely disappointed with Roy Williams. He is getting paid to lead the UNC basketball program not to use his Bully Pulpit to push a personal agenda. As opposed as many of us are of this program, which will destroy the best health care anywhere on earth, having one of our former heroes throw it in our faces is unforgivable. I hate to cut off my nose to spite my face but no more financial support to the basketball team but all my support will be split among the other sports. I will continue to support the basketball team emotionally for the sake of the players. Maybe Roy will resign and take a cabinet for Obama where he can support his hero 100 per cent.

18. Denise

March 19, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Fan or not, Roy Williams has the right to endorse what he chooses to endorse. If Rams Club donors are shallow enough to pull back their support of the SCHOOL because of the coach’s personal opinion, then so be it. As for the ACA itself, it’s a long way from perfect. But for those families that had ZERO options previously for health insurance, it’s a blessing. For those that wound up paying more or losing a plan they liked, I’m sure it feels like a curse. As Americans, many of us are all in favor of programs that help others UNLESS it impacts us personally. But sometimes it costs us more individually to do the right thing collectively. That sucks, but it’s reality.

19. Ron8200

March 19, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I would prefer sports celebrities spend there efforts on the games, the academic performance of students. It is not their place to suggest we participate in a government program that was misrepresented to the public. A program that is fiscally irresponsible, further it has reduced employment, increased the costs of insurance, reduced business expansion. The Congress of the United States has elected to subsidize the insurance of their staffs a unfair practice.

20. Robert Ramsey

March 19, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Denise so it helped a few hurt a majority. 30 million to be exact still without. If you are not a proverty’s door you get no subsidies. It will ruin what was once the best health care system in the world. Doctors are already refusing to except Obamacare. More and more cuts to Medicare and just take a pill old folks. That is unless you are one of the many rich endorsing it.

21. Chris

March 19, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I am shocked and very disappointed in Roy doing this advertising for the Unaffordable Health Care Act. As a life long UNC fan I believe he needs to be using his spare time coaching his players on how to shoot a dang free throw. I think this might back fire on him because there are thousands of UNC fans that hate this health care program. I have been a donor to the school for years and I might have to rethink my contributions after seeing this. Wise Up Roy!

22. Kevin Hall

March 19, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Pretty obvious that Roy got rich and is totally out of touch with reality. The ironic thing about it is that he’s probably never paid a health insurance premium in his life. Makes me sick to see he even did this……

23. Barry

March 19, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Very embarrassing Coach Roy ! Maybe you have spent too much time promoting the fiasco known as Obamacare , when your time could have been better spent finding out what was in the bill before it was passed ?? Go Heels !

24. Martha

March 20, 2014 at 9:17 am

I was very disappointed to hear Roy Williams do the endorsement for Obamacare. While I support his right to his personal opinions, he should not use the position given to him by UNC to promote what amounts to a political endorsement. As a loyal Tar Heel grad, I think he crossed the line here.

25. Ricky Leung

March 20, 2014 at 10:30 am

I’m very proud to be a Tar Heel bred and raised, and to see Coach Roy endorse an effort to provide quality healthcare to Americans. Because of the ACA, my friend who had a preexisting condition who was told to be “uninsurable” can now have coverage for himself and his family, including a newborn.

It’s certainly not the panacea. While subsidies exist for those 100-400% of poverty. There are some below the poverty line who do not currently qualify for Medicaid in NC. The fault there lies entirely on the shoulders of those legislators who refuse to expand Medicaid to help those who need it the most.

Better solutions, of course, would be single payer and universal healthcare. Shouldn’t the ability to have access to healthcare be a social good and a universal human right?

26. Mike

March 20, 2014 at 4:29 pm

My question to Roy is, what Obamacare program did you select?

27. Tommie

March 21, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Rent his soul to BHO for a free pieces of gold. ($1,300,000.00) maybe?

28. Danny

March 23, 2014 at 9:28 am

The sad thing is all the lies by right wing radio and republicans. Feeding the misinformed with all this repeal and replace. They have no better plan. Just go back to the old system where the insurance companies call all the shots. Republicans keep their pockets full and their voters continue to hate anything President Obama does. Thats their plan for taking their country back.

29. JRATZ

March 26, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Roy, you need to stick to coaching or go into politics. You can’t do both.
    Have you even read the law that you are recommending? Others should know that YOUR health insurance is different than what you’re recommending them to buy. PS. I’m no longer a Carolina bball fan (have been for 55yrs). Also the plan you recommend likely will compromise the insurance for all people my age – so are you against us?