Charlotte mayor arrested on federal charges of corruption, bribery

Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon, a Democrat who took office this year, was arrested today on charges stemming from a federal corruption investigation.

Cannon is accused of accepting bribes from business developers who were actually working undercover for the FBI in exchange for help from Cannon in navigating the city of Charlotte’s permitting and zoning processes. Cannon is accused of taking  $48,000 over the course of several bribes, and the FBI investigation preceded Cannon’s mayoral term when he was on Charlotte’s city council.

News of Cannon’s arrest was made public this afternoon, and developments are likely to continue. A copy of the probable cause affidavit, in which the FBI details its case, can be read here.

Here’s the latest from Charlotte’s WCNC, who met up with Cannon outside the federal courthouse:

In total, Mayor Cannon accepted about $48,000 in cash, airline tickets, a hotel room and use of a luxury apartment, the FBI says.

NBC Charlotte reporter Rad Berky was the only one outside of the courthouse when Mayor Cannon walked out from the building. The mayor didn’t have much to say when asked about the charges.

“What happened? Can you tell us what happened?” — RB

“Well, nothing at this point that I can discuss. But I’ll certainly be back in contact with you.” — PC

“What would you tell the voters of the city today, sir?” — RB

“There’s nothing too much I can say at this point, but when I’m able to, I’ll touch base.” — PC

Cannon is free on a $25,000 unsecured bond.

Below is a summary of the accusations levied against Cannon, detailed in the FBI’s probable cause affidavit:

Screenshot of Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon's indictment. Text by FBI agent detailing accusations

Screenshot of Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon’s indictment. Text by FBI agent detailing accusations

1. LayintheSmakDown

March 26, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Hey! How did this make it through the pulse censors? Isn’t this dude a democrat? Or is he now considered a Republican now that he has been arrested as corrupt?

2. Alan

March 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

Poor LSD, you must have been watching Faux News again, they repeatedly labeled Republicans they didn’t agree with as Democrats, and the low IQ viewers didn’t even seem to notice. I don;t think you see that happening here, but good try.

No surprise that team Civitas et al. have been silent on the Duke/DENR/McFlurry corruption (or just about anything else for that matter that involves the GOP). Perhaps Mayor Cannon can share a cell with one of the many corrupt appointees of McFlurry, or Chris Christie? Like I stated before, I do hope Christie doesn’t get he top bunk, that’s a huge risk for the other cell mate.

3. GOP Rules

March 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

Civitas does need to look into the DENR corruption. A lot more democrats hiding stuff there, heck wasnt it Easly or Hunt that had a scandal in the early 00′s on that subject?

4. Alan

March 27, 2014 at 4:34 pm

But GOP Rules, you seem to forget your own “rules”. You can’t look back and blame somebody else all the time. Perhaps time for the current junta to come clean, or better yet, convicted. “Civitas does not need to look into the DENR corruption”, so you’re admitting there is corruption then? So much for the “truth seekers” over at Civitas.

5. LayintheSmakDown

March 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I am here at the pulse right? I am required to use your rulez when on this board….I guess the relevant question is why are you not living by your own rules. And of course there is corruption…DENR is the front for the envirowhackos you know. And I am just a lowly intern, I do not set the policy. You know how it is in your cube over there at NCJustice center next to shoefield.

6. Alan

March 28, 2014 at 9:52 am

Sockpuppet#1…? Is that you?

7. GOP Rules

March 28, 2014 at 2:21 pm

You sayin Kay Hagan is around here too? Maybe this site now has 5 readers…..who woulda thunk it?