Uncategorized

Breaking: troubled Charlotte charter school StudentFirst to close next week

This just in from the Charlotte Observer‘s education reporter Ann Doss Helms on the closing of StudentFirst Academy in Charlotte:

The troubled StudentFirst Academy charter school will close at the end of next week, parents learned at an emergency meeting Wednesday night.

That leaves almost 300 K-8 students scrambling to find schools less than two months before the end of the school year.

“I’m up in the air. I have no idea what I’m going to do,” said Jackie Davis, the parent of second- and eighth-graders at StudentFirst.

StudentFirst began as a private school in 2001 and converted to a publicly funded charter school that opened in August. It quickly fell into financial and academic trouble. Facing queries from the state Office of Charter Schools, the board fired founders Phyllis Handford and Sandra Moss, who are now suing the board.

Consultants hired to answer state questions found academic shortcomings, unopened mail, unpaid bills, overpaid and overstaffed administration and tens of thousands of dollars in spending that hadn’t been properly documented, according to reports filed in connection with the lawsuit.

The StudentFirst board told the state last month that it owed $600,000 in bank loans and unpaid bills, but assured the N.C. Charter School Advisory Board that the school had a recovery plan that would keep the school solvent through June. The advisory board was scheduled to hold a follow-up session next week to decide whether to recommend revoking the charter.

However, in a brief press release issued Thursday morning, board chair Victor Mack said the school would surrender its charter, “discontinue school services” and release all employees effective April 15. The last day for students is April 11.

Read the full story over at the Charlotte Observer here. And for an in-depth look at what led to StudentFirst closing its doors, read this revealing story by Ann Doss Helms here.

One Comment


  1. George Johnson

    April 16, 2014 at 9:44 pm

    Have heard a rumor, just a rumor, that Phyllis Handford & Sandra Gay/Moss are starting up another private school. If its like the first one, parents will be given the opportunity to ‘volunteer’ in lieu of tuition. Teachers’ aides will be people doing community service or just off the street and will have the chance to catch up on sleep.

Check Also

Changing hats, but my focus remains on education

Dear NC Policy Watch readers, It’s been a ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

Millions of children will begin the new school year learning from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. [...]

Balky technology, expiring benefits worry workers, state leaders. Congress is continuing to squabble [...]

Environmental destruction, property entanglements will take years to address Behind a black wooden f [...]

U.S. House votes for big funding boost as two new reports document the problem in NC [Editor's [...]

North Carolina is now almost five months into the massive societal disruption caused by the COVID-19 [...]

The post The latest buzz in 2020… appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

The image of a perfect storm conveys a rueful irony – the storm whose components are so intertwined, [...]

Editor’s note: The issue of violence committed against women in the U.S. military, including sexual [...]