The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced yesterday that North Carolina health officials successfully cleared a backlog of food stamps cases that had been in the tens of thousands last year following issues with a statewide technology system.
At stake was $88 million in federal funding, which USDA, which oversees the national SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), said it would consider rescinding if the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services didn’t quickly clear the backlog.
The letter Tuesday from Robin Bailey, a regional administrator for USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service division, commended DHHS for clearing the backlog and said that federal officials would be continuing to monitor the state’s progress. DHHS will have to continue submitting weekly caseload reports to the federal agency.
“The State has made significant strides in providing service to those households that experienced delays in receiving their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits,” Bailey wrote. “FNS will continue to closely monitor case processing data to ensure the State remains in compliance with Federal processing requirements.”