The quick and dirty on Gov. McCrory’s teacher pay plan

Following this morning’s presser by Gov. Pat McCrory on his plan for improving teacher pay during the upcoming legislative session, below is the quick and dirty of what he proposed. There is a lot more to learn about this plan, so stay tuned for further details and analysis.

• Early childhood education: McCrory put an additional $3.6 million in his budget to expand early childhood ed.
  • Textbooks: McCrory doubled the budget for textbooks, upping it to $46 million.
  • Beginning teacher pay: McCrory kept his February proposal in the budget, pledging that beginning teachers would make a minimum of $35,000 by 2015.
  • All North Carolina teachers: McCrory promised an average 2 percent pay increase for all teachers. So those receiving the beginning pay boost (those with up to 7 years of experience) could see as much as a 7 percent pay increase next year.
  • All state employees: McCrory announced a flat $1,000 raise for all state employees, including benefits.
  • Career pathway for teachers & prof pay schedule: Revamps the NC teacher salary schedule, fully implemented by 2018.
    • Would allow teachers to earn more, sooner, based on a variety of factors.
    • Will reward experience, but will also reward performance.
    • Will pay teachers more who work in hard to staff schools.
    • Those teaching subjects that are in high demand in the marketplace could earn more, e.g. chemistry or math.
    • Teacher leaders who can mentor other teachers could earn more.
    • $9 million fund: will assist school districts in the creation of local Career Pathways that encourage effective teachers to expand their impact and maximize student achievement. This three-year fund will allow local educators and district leaders to receive support as they create or expand a performance-based pay system catered to the needs of their schools and students. Pilot initiatives in eight school districts will form the foundation of a statewide model for performance-based compensation. Eight additional pilots will start the following year.
  • Master’s degree pay: 10 percent supplemental pay bump for those who hold degrees in the field in which they teach.

Check back soon with N.C. Policy Watch for more details…

1. James

May 7, 2014 at 11:06 am

Show me the money.

2. Justin

May 7, 2014 at 11:14 am

It’s important to look at this with some perspective.

– Doubling textbook funding sounds good. But textbook funding was $111 million in 2009.

– $3.6 million for early childhood sounds good. But that’s less than a 3% increase.

– 2% pay raise for teachers sounds good. But NC teacher salaries are already 19% behind the national average.

3. love my state

May 7, 2014 at 11:18 am

but is it revenue neutral???? good show guv, but my gut tells me you’ll be playing the victim when the GA gets to town, and this too will just fly in the breeze

4. MELBA

May 7, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Too much talk, not enough action. I still don’t understand how the NCEL works.

5. Ernbear

May 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Smoke & Mirrors = BS on real pay increases…. After 13 years teaching in NC, I took a year off, and not too eager to return……. It is sad and shameful !!!!

6. James Barrett

May 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I worry that an interesting proposal for better long-term results for our students is buried in the long-term plan here, but completely overshadowed by the BS in the short-term items. The BS includes lack of clarity on whether “2% average for all” is anything above “7% for 1/3 of teachers”, how any of this will be funded, etc. The obfuscation is a real sign of lack of leadership in the Mansion. This is not the clear goal we need — increase average back to where we were 10 years ago relative to the nation. Not saying we shouldn’t differentiate pay to get better results for our students, but no clarity this will get us there.

7. Sandi

May 7, 2014 at 11:02 pm

How many plans does this make? The Gov. Must be getting extremely nervous since teachers are saying, NO, to the mantra…”at least I have a job”. The current administration has nearly aniliated public education for children and the teaching profession for educators. As an educator I know the work I put into my job…teacher, counselor, social worker, mentor….I would like to see some of them come do my job….a teacher helped each of you in some way and now we have to fight & quit or jobs in order to be treated as professionals. I hope the collapse of NC public education doesn’t happen, but it seems it’s well on it’s way.