For most North Carolina public school students, the bell chimed and they will start the school year. The students will return to school this academic year after a summer break where public education discussions seemed to dominate the legislative session, the courtroom and the news.
Here of a few of questions that North Carolina public school students may ask as they return to school:
- I heard that my teachers got a raise but I hear that it may not be true – did they get a raise or not?
- Where are my textbooks?
- I need to take the bus to school – Is it safe?
- Is it true that vouchers are unconstitutional? Why?
- I am going to get free lunch even though my parents did not fill out an application – How is that possible?
- Why does it seem like my school has fewer resources each time I start a new year?
- Will I still be learning from the Common Core State Standards?
There are many more questions to answer, which is why there will be a Back to School blog series. For the next two weeks, several writers will contribute pieces about what is happening in and to North Carolina public schools.