News

First million in taxpayer dollars sent to voucher schools

The first million dollars in taxpayer-funded school vouchers have been sent to private and religious schools across North Carolina, the AP reports.

From the News & Observer:

The first million dollars have been sent to private and religious schools across North Carolina while an appeals court considers a judge’s ruling that a new scholarship program for low-income public school children is unconstitutional.

About $1.1 million was distributed last Friday to 109 private schools that accepted students under the Opportunity Scholarships program, State Educational Assistance Authority grants director Elizabeth McDuffie said Monday. That distribution was to cover part of the tuition for 568 students, according to the state agency administering the program.

The schools were primarily Christian, Baptist, Catholic or Islamic. The Greensboro Islamic Academy received the most money, $90,300 for 43 enrolled students. Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh received $54,600 for 26 students.

Earlier this month, The N.C. Court of Appeals ruled that the 1,878 students who have already been granted school vouchers can now use those taxpayer dollars at private schools while the fate of the program is decided. But the program cannot continue to award vouchers while the case is still tied up in the courts.

An August ruling by Superior Court Judge Robert H. Hobgood found the school voucher law, enacted in 2013, to be unconstitutional, halting a program that as Judge Hobgood said, “appropriates taxpayer funds to educational institutions that have no standards, curriculum and requirements for teachers and principals to be certified.”

Hobgood’s ruling is under appeal by the state’s attorney as well as defendant-intervenors for parents and Speaker Thom Tillis and Senate leader Phil Berger.

Attorney Robert Orr, who represents the N.C. School Boards Association, told the AP, “everybody’s on notice that the court has already ruled at the trial level it’s unconstitutional. In the long run, if the trial court’s decision is affirmed, then we would look to the state to recover the public’s money. You have to emphasize that it is the public’s money that we’re talking about.”

Read the full story by AP reporter Emery Dalesio here.

Check Also

Changing hats, but my focus remains on education

Dear NC Policy Watch readers, It’s been a ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

When Andrea Hudson was pulled over for a routine traffic violation in 2013, the police officer found [...]

Right now in Shenzhen, which, with 12 million people is the fastest-growing city in China, a young c [...]

On Tuesday, Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger—one of the state’s most powerful Republican politic [...]

Unsurprisingly, the agenda for the General Assembly's "short session" that commences [...]

The post Bite the Apple & NC’s HB2 Legacy appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

When I headed off to college, I could not have predicted that many of the funding streams, positions [...]

For those who pay only periodic attention to the ins and outs of lawmaking in the North Carolina Gen [...]

The post Know your ‘Thug’ appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

Now hiring

NC Policy Watch is now hiring a Managing Editor – click here for more info.