Commentary

HB2 editorial: McCrory refuses to accept “responsibility he so richly deserves”

HB2_LOGOSIn case you missed it yesterday, the Virginian-Pilot, which serves as the newspaper of record for much of northeastern North Carolina, published a comprehensive editorial yesterday that condemn HB2 and Gov. McCrory’s ongoing performance with respect to the matter.

Here are a couple of excerpts:

After detailing the NBA’s recent decision to make good on its promise to move the NBA All-Star Game out of state if the law remained on the books, the editorial said this:

“McCroy handled the news with typical aplomb.

‘The sports and entertainment elite, Attorney General Roy Cooper and the liberal media have for months misrepresented our laws and maligned the people of North Carolina simply because most people believe boys and girls should be able to use school bathrooms,’ he said in a blatantly false statement issued by his office on Thursday.

He blamed Democratic Party presidential nominee Hillary Clinton for this setback. He has previously blamed President Barack Obama for the ill effects of this state law. On Friday, deploying the grace with which North Carolinians have grown familiar, he called the NBA’s decision ‘total P.C. B.S.’ during an interview on NPR.

Basically, McCrory has done everything and anything but accept the responsibility he so richly deserves.”

And here’s the conclusion:

“…McCrory expressed outrage over the decision but, tellingly, made light of it at rally for Donald Trump in Winston-Salem on Monday.

This law has cost the state jobs and tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars in revenue. It has stained North Carolina’s reputation. And it’s demonized thousands of good people for short-term political gain and, courtesy of the governor, at least one cheap laugh.

The question now is if other events to be held in North Carolina – the 2017 PGA Championship, this year’s ACC Football Championship, preliminary rounds of the NCAA Basketball Tournament – could be moved as well.

If that happens, don’t expect McCrory or state Republicans to shoulder the blame. They have yet to accept responsibility for the harm they’ve inflicted on North Carolina, and it’s unlikely they ever will.”

 

Check Also

Adams, Butterfield, Price on board as U.S. House prepares to vote on $15 minimum wage

The U.S. House is poised to pass landmark ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

June is Pride Month – a time to celebrate of LGBTQ equality and remember the origins of the ongoing [...]

Racial, economic composition of school contributes to environmental justice concerns On the edge of [...]

As lawmakers work to negotiate a final state budget by the end of the month, the ongoing conflict be [...]

The state Charter School Advisory Board (CSAB) on Monday unanimously stood by its approval of two ch [...]

North Carolina was the last state in the U.S. to end the automatic prosecution of juveniles of 16 or [...]

The post Thom Tillis defends Trump by attacking Clinton, Steele dossier appeared first on NC Policy [...]

If, in this precise moment, you’re wondering where North Carolina’s multi-billion dollar budget is, [...]

The recent proposal from state Senate leaders for the next two-year state budget compromises North C [...]