While President-elect Donald Trump has pledged to repeal and replace Obamacare, enrollment for 2017 coverage continues to be strong in North Carolina.
Jennifer Simmons, project director for the North Carolina Navigator Consortium, says for all the talk of scrapping the law North Carolinians are continuing to purchase coverage on the federal health care exchange for the coming year.
And until Congress takes action, consumers can still enjoy tax subsidies to offset the premium costs. Last year, nearly 90% of Tar Heel residents who enrolled on the exchange qualified for such a discount.
Simmons, who appears this weekend on News & Views with Chris Fitzsimon to discuss open enrollment, says consumers are also entering a contract with a private insurance company, which can remain in place for 2017 regardless of what action Washington takes.
Click below to hear an excerpt of Simmons’ interview with NC Policy Watch.
Open enrollment continues through January 31, 2017.