With the Senate Judiciary Committee commencing hearings into Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee this morning, be sure to take at least a few minutes to review The Gorsuch Record, a damning in-depth report prepared by the nonpartisan legal advocacy group, the Alliance for Justice. The report puts it this way:
“Judge Gorsuch has repeatedly shown hostility toward the efforts of vulnerable populations to use the courts to protect their constitutional rights. He has, moreover, consistently downplayed constitutional abuses by government officials. And he has placed the rights of corporations over those of other Americans, weakened critical acts of Congress, and advocated for overturning long established legal doctrines that ensure the federal government can properly enforce protections for the American people.”
The report goes on to spell out dozens of areas in which Gorsuch will almost assuredly work and vote to take the nation backwards. These include:
- The power of corporations,
- Government illegality and overreach vis a vis individuals subjected to abuse,
- Workers’ rights,
- Voting rights (where he has praised the work of one of the nation’s leading voter suppression advocates and co-architect of NC”s Monster Voting Law”)
- Civil rights and racial justice
- Equal opportunity,
- Consumer protection,
- Reproductive freedom, including the right to an abortion and access to contraception,
- The rights of children and workers with disabilities,
- LGBTQ rights,
- The rights of immigrants,
- Money in politics,
- Separation of church and state,
- Environmental protection,
- Criminal justice – including the rights of criminal defendants, the rights of prisoners, excessive police force, searches and seizures and criminal sentencing,
- the rights of Native Americans, and
- The right to die.
In each of these areas and others, the report shows Gorsuch’s record to be that of a man who will vote to uphold and extend Trumpism. The report concludes this way:
“While his resume may be objectively impressive, his ideology is disqualifying. Time and again, we found evidence of Judge Gorsuch’s ideological pursuit of legal outcomes that systematically denigrate the rights of everyday people. While this is never desirable, it is even more disturbing at a time when the rights and freedoms of so many communities face heightened threats on a daily basis.
…We believe that a thorough analysis will lead to the same conclusion we have reached: that Neil Gorsuch is the wrong choice for a position that demands its occupants embrace the philosophy that the Constitution protects all of us, not just the wealthy and powerful.”
In short, the Gorsuch nomination is quite arguably the most dangerous act that a very dangerous president has taken during his first months in office. Let’s hope the U.S. Senate is paying attention.