It’s a remarkable fact to contemplate, but today marks the one-year anniversary of the election of the Great Prevaricator. The good news, of course, is the fact that the nation is still standing — at least sort of. The bad news is that the most important government on the planet remains under the control of a serial teller of untruths and a mostly spineless cadre of sycophants who refuse to acknowledge that their emperor wears no clothes.
The damage that this situation has wrought is massive and all but incalculable, but in one very important area, some good people are trying come up with some useful numbers. The following come from an infographic generated by the folks at the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence :
- One year since Trump was elected
- He was the first sitting president to speak at the NRA convention since 1983
- Under his leadership, more than 500K more fugitives from justice can legally access guns
- As well as 324,000 Social Security beneficiaries whose illnesses are so severe, they cannot handle their finances
- 93 Americans are shot & killed every day
- 2 high profile mass shootings
- 0 laws passed to stop the madness
The Brady infographic might have also gone on to point out that there have been 307 mass shootings in the United States already this year  (and that we still have the holiday season ahead of us!)
Happily, the list also goes on to list several ways in which Brady and other groups like Moms Demand Action  and North Carolinians Against Gun Violence  — are fighting back — in Congress, in state legislatures and in electoral politics. As they look for ways to take action on this difficult anniversary, caring and thinking people could do a lot worse than to join in the advocacy work of these fine groups.