The Chairman and CEO of DICK’S Sporting Goods announced Wednesday the company has decided to no longer sell assault style rifles or firearms to anyone under 21 years of age. High capacity magazines will also no longer be sold by the national chain.
The company recently learned that it had legally sold a gun last November to 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, though it was not the gun or the type of weapon used in the Parkland, Florida school shooting.
In a series of tweets the company announced its decision to pull all AR-15s and other semiautomatic rifles from its store shelves and websites.
‘We deeply believe that this country’s most precious gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe.’
The sporting goods chain is also imploring elected officials to:
• Ban assault-style firearms
• Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
• Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
• Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
• Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
• Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks
DICK’S Sporting Goods operates more than 715 stores nationwide. You can read their full statement here.