Brave New Films has created a series of multimedia shorts that explain how money bail has become one of the main feeders of America’s mass incarceration system.
Friday’s screening will be followed by a panel discussion featuring:
- State Senator Mike Woodard
- Joe Killian, NC Policy Watch’s investigative reporter who has written extensively on the subject
- Sarah Gillooly, director of political strategy and advocacy at the ACLU of North Carolina
- David Hall, an “indigent defense attorney, representing people one at a time as they navigated the criminal legal system”
- Lawrence Carpenter, a board member at Inmates to Entrepreneur
Can’t make it, but want to learn more about the state’s problematic money bail system?
Listen to Policy Watch’s recent radio interviews with two of Friday’s panelists:
Friday’s screening of “The Bail Trap: An American Ransom” is hosted by Triangle People Power and runs from 6:00pm-9:00pm at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 810 W Chapel Hill Street, Durham, NC.