News

Billionaire backer of Marsy’s Law cuts deal on drug trafficking charges

billionaire

Henry Nicholas mug shot, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Dep’t.

As reported in this space earlier this year, Henry Nicholas, the man behind the controversial victims’ rights proposal known as “Marsy’s Law” that North Carolina voters approved as a constitutional amendment in 2018, has been battling criminal drug charges in Nevada. Earlier this week, Nicholas managed to cut a deal with prosecutors.

Reporter Dana Gentry of the Nevada Current has the story:

A week shy of the anniversary of their arrest in Las Vegas on drug trafficking charges, billionaire Henry Nicholas and his companion, Ashley Fargo, have reached an agreement with prosecutors that allow the two to avoid prison.

Nicholas and Fargo were arrested last August in a Las Vegas hotel room where police found nearly 96 grams of methamphetamine, 4.24 grams of heroin, 15.13 grams of cocaine, and 17.1 grams of psilocin, a psychedelic, according to the complaint.

The agreement calls for Nicholas and Fargo to enter an Alford plea, which means they will make no admission of guilt. The court will withhold adjudication.

The two are required under the agreement to perform 250 hours of community service, and two sessions of drug counseling a month for the next year. They are also each required to contribute $500,000 to a drug counseling program in Clark County.

“By no stretch of the imagination would anyone consider Dr. Nicholas or Ms. Fargo to be traffickers distributing drugs into the community,” their attorneys David Chesnoff and David Brown said in a statement. “This positive agreement allows them to help people grappling with addiction by providing substantial financial support to programs in Clark County for treatment and rehabilitation, which have been shown to be an effective tool for combating addiction.”

“Dr. Nicholas and Ms. Fargo are committed to fulfilling their obligations under the agreement and moving forward. Dr. Nicholas will continue to focus on his work championing victims’ rights,” their attorneys said in a statement.

Last week, attorneys for the defendants filed a motion to dismiss the charges based on evidence that other parties had access to the bags containing the prohibited substances. A source close to the case says the motion may have influenced the negotiations.

District Attorney Steve Wolfson did not respond to requests for comment.

Failure to complete the terms of the agreement will result in a conviction of guilty of possession, an offense requiring mandatory probation.

The two are scheduled for an August 9 appearance in District Court, where the plea agreement must be confirmed.

Check Also

Georgia takes a different approach from NC to smokable hemp

The North Carolina General Assembly is going ahead ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

WASHINGTON – GOP megadonors and allies of President Trump are helping Sen. Thom Tillis bulk up his c [...]

The last time the Earth experienced a July this hot was well, we don’t know for sure. Such extremes [...]

Medicaid expansion is not just a moral imperative — it could provide a much-needed tonic for the fis [...]

Ag Commissioner Troxler opts in; 770 workers under Treasurer Folwell, Labor Commissioner Berry will [...]

When North Carolina officials put a stop, at least for the time being, to a badly mishandled contrac [...]

The post Cooper to Trump: “Not so fast” appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

If there is a single brightest and most hopeful bit of news on the North Carolina public policy hori [...]

Thirty-two seconds. That’s how long it took for the madman responsible for the carnage in Dayton, Oh [...]