Commentary, News

Calling UNC’s $2.5 million Silent Sam payout a “sham” is too kind. It’s an outrage.

Calling the UNC Board of Governors’ sly announcement last week of a $2.5 million settlement with the Sons of Confederate Veterans a “sham” — as the McClatchy editorial board team did Monday — is overly kind.

It is a disgrace. It is an embarrassment. It is an outrage. It is, frankly, appalling the leadership of North Carolina’s esteemed university system would quietly negotiate an accord with an organization like the SCV with no public vetting, and to release the terms of said deal the afternoon before Thanksgiving.

No one in North Carolina should forget our history, which is precisely why the university system should not be kowtowing with an organization with such a fantastical version of it, one in which slavery is reduced to a bit part in the Civil War.

The university and the people of North Carolina can be thankful that the racist statue no longer stands at UNC’s grassy McCorkle Place, but they shouldn’t have to do so while stomaching a payment to a group like this. Both sides should explain how they arrived at this deal, which seemed to arrive concurrently or even before the Sons of Confederate Veterans filed their suit, as the Durham attorney T. Greg Doucette elucidated on Twitter last week. How? Why?

At this moment, the board’s words and deeds continue to speak loudly, and not in the right way, about this supposedly silent statue.

Read part of the McClatchy editorial below:

For more than a year, the University of North Carolina’s Board of Governors has tried to resolve a problem that didn’t really exist: What should it do with Silent Sam? The Confederate statue with its racist roots had been topped by protesters on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus in August 2018. Agree with the method or not, Silent Sam no longer was a safety hazard or a source of pain and controversy to the school community.

But instead of merely giving the statue away or keeping it closeted, the board decided last week to pay millions of dollars to a Confederate sympathy group to take the statue off the UNC System’s hands. In a whisper-like announcement the afternoon before Thanksgiving, the UNC system said it had agreed to settle a lawsuit involving Silent Sam by giving $2.5 million to the North Carolina division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

The resolution “does what is best for the university,” said BOG member Jim Holmes. In reality, it’s a resolution that brings new problems and new shame to the UNC system, and it comes with new questions about the money and timing of the agreement.

First, the timing. UNC’s announcement Wednesday began: “This morning a judge entered a consent judgment in a lawsuit involving the Confederate monument known as Silent Sam.“ But documents show that the lawsuit was both filed and settled on Wednesday, the same day as the UNC announcement. The odd timing was discovered by attorney and former BOG member Greg Doucette, who noted that the board met at 10 a.m. Wednesday to approve a settlement that clearly had been agreed to before a lawsuit had even been filed. The board should address what was behind that legal maneuvering, including what legal standing the off-campus Sons of Confederate Veterans had, if any, to bring a lawsuit regarding the statue.

As for the $2.5 million, the university says that it will not come from state money, but from the interest earnings of the UNC system’s privately funded endowment. That’s money, however, that might be used to fund worthy and urgent needs that fit the UNC system’s core mission of educating students. Instead, it will go to an organization that promotes a revisionist history overwhelmingly rejected by serious historians, an organization that hosted a distasteful “secession ball” in South Carolina less than a decade ago and continues to propagate the historical fiction that the Civil War was not fought over slavery.

It’s also a group that chooses to ignore the distress that symbols of the Confederacy bring to many of its fellow Americans. Now, that group will raise Silent Sam and bring the same pain to another North Carolina community, and it will do so with millions of the University of North Carolina system’s dollars. It’s an inadequate and clumsy resolution, a washing of hands that continues to stain our state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Trump administration cracks down on food stamps; new rule expected to deny assistance to 700,000 people

Beware the moments when no one is focusing ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

Students, faculty and legal experts are all questioning last week’s legal settlement in which the UN [...]

In addition to historic cemeteries and archaeological resources, state is concerned about asbestos, [...]

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is failing to ensure that all military families have access to safe, quali [...]

North Carolina Republicans officially ran out the clock – at least legally – when they enacted a new [...]

It may be difficult to say how you are feeling this morning, two mornings after a Superior Court pan [...]

Well, that appears to be a wrap. The 2019 legislative session that commenced way back in January and [...]

The post Sons of Confederate Veterans give thanks to UNC appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

Donald J. Trump used the power of his office to blackmail a foreign ally into undermining a politica [...]