This is by no means a comprehensive list, and we hope you will contribute to this post as other events are scheduled:
- Community groups will honor the lives of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling with a vigil focused on police violence at 6:30 p.m. tonight (Friday) at Moore Square Park (200 S. Blount, in downtown Raleigh). Organizers include PACT (Police Accountability and Community Task Force), Policy Matters NC, and the Justice or Else Movement. It will be followed by a community action planning discussion.
In Winston Salem:
- A #BlackLivesMatter march is planned for Saturday @ 3:30 p.m. in Downtown Winston-Salem. Find more information here.
According to the Charlotte Observer, multiple events are planned across the Queen City:
- A “Peaceful Protest” is planned for this evening at 6:00 p.m. at Romare Bearden Park, 300 S. Church St.
- A Candlelight Vigil is planned for 7:30 p.m. this evening at the New Outreach Christian Center, 3900 Gossett Ave.
- On Sunday, a healing Service is planned for 11:00 a.m. at Statesville Avenue Presbyterian Church, 3535 Nevin Road.
“We will pray together for the racial climate in our country, the families who are mourning and angry, law enforcement officers, black men, gay, straight, trans and people in the power seat.”
- Sunday evening at 8:00 p.m. a candlelight vigil will be held at Myers Park United Methodist Church, 1501 Queens Road. The gathering will include a reading of the names of those killed in recent days in Dallas, Baton Rouge (La.) and suburban St. Paul (Minn.). The church bells will toll, and there will be Scripture reading, silence and prayer. Find more information on the interfaith service here.