Even by the standards of what has become a disturbing status quo as of late, the past month has been plagued by dehumanizing rhetoric and violent actions directed at immigrants and children of immigrants. It is part of a growing and horrifying narrative encouraging violence and reprisals toward the immigrant community in our nation – stemming from the highest office in the land.
- As Policy Watch reported earlier this week, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos recently said schools should report undocumented students in their schools.
- The entire Trump administration has doubled and tripled down on calling immigrants “animals” while border patrol agents shot and killed an immigrant woman.
- Meanwhile, President Trump called the immigration court system corrupt and suggested eliminating judges and trials.
- He is also suggesting cutting aid to countries based on their immigration flow.
- Amidst all this, a new report was released documenting the abuse of unaccompanied detained children, even as President Trump called unaccompanied minors “not innocent.”