In case you missed it, the North Carolina Justice Center is calling on North Carolinians to celebrate Labor Day this year by adding their names to a petition that calls for policies that promote quality jobs. Here’s the specific language:
“We, the undersigned, call on Governor McCrory to support policies that create quality jobs that boost the economy in our communities. And given that many jobs no longer provide workers with all the necessary aspects of quality employment, the Governor must recognize the necessity of policies that provide workers with the supports they are no longer receiving through work.
Specifically, we urge Governor McCrory to support the following policies aimed at creating quality jobs capable of boosting our state’s economy:
- Raise the minimum wage to allow workers to afford the basics, make ends meet and provide for their families.
- Allow workers to earn paid sick days and paid family medical leave so they can recover from illness, welcome the birth or adoption of a new child or care for a sick family member.
- Promote retirement security, including access to sufficient income to retire with dignity, by establishing universal access to private retirement accounts.
- Provide access to affordable health insurance through the expansion of Medicaid.
- Allow workers to collectively bargain with their employers for better wages and benefits.
- Adequately fund the pathways for skill development and career mobility in our community college system.
Let’s build a North Carolina economy that works for everyone.”
For more information and to add your name, click here.