State Board of elections could meet this week on Durham appeal

The N.C. State Board of Elections held an emergency teleconference meeting Sunday to consider Gov. Pat McCrory’s request that they look into thousands of Durham county ballots his campaign is questioning in the Nov. 8 election.

The board said it couldn’t move forward with the request until it has a full transcript of the Durham Board of Elections meeting from a week ago. At that meeting the GOP-dominated board rejected the Republican governor’s protest over the ballots.

The board said it would seek that information from Durham in the next 48 hours and would look to schedule its own hearing by the end of this week.

McCrory trails his Democratic challenger, Attorney General Roy Cooper, by about 7,700 votes, according the state board of elections. That lead that has grown steadily since election night as absentee and provision ballots have been counted. McCrory has yet to concede the race and has mounted challenges and protests in more than half of the state’s 100 counties, alleging voting irregularities and fraud.

Cooper has declared victory in the election and begun setting up a transition team.

Last week the state board decided to leave the authority to decide protests with the individual county boards, all of which are dominated by appointed Republicans. So far, each of the boards that have heard McCrory’s protests have rejected them.

In a weekend press release, the McCrory campaign said it would drop its request for a statewide recount if Durham County were to hold a recount and the results were the same.

The state board said Sunday that it had no communication from the McCrory campaign to that effect.

The board also held a closed session to discuss the federal lawsuit brought by the conservative Civitas Institute over same-day registration. The board moved to hire the Brooks Piece law firm as outside counsel in the case.

 

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

WASHINGTON — The coronavirus pandemic has brought heartbreaking consequences for millions of U.S. ch [...]

Sheriffs and advocates remain opposed, but the party of Donald Trump is no longer a roadblock Video [...]

Student leaders at UNC-Chapel Hill are asking that money from a recently increased security fee go t [...]

The murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis in May of 2020 and the demonstrations that ensued in score [...]

An honest assessment of the disastrous U.S. experience in Afghanistan leads to some hard truths and [...]

There is, of course, nothing new about the idea that blood runs thick in politics. The list of promi [...]

The post North Carolina court blocks Voter ID law for discriminatory intent appeared first on NC Pol [...]

Vaccine refusal is a major reason COVID-19 infections continue to surge in the U.S. Safe and effecti [...]

A Clear and Present Danger

 

NC’s Tarheel Army Missile Plant is a toxic disgrace
Read the two-part story about the Army’s failure to clean up hazardous chemicals, which have contaminated a Black and Hispanic neighborhood for 30 years.

Read in English.


Haga clic aquí para leer: Peligro inminente
Una antigua planta de misiles del Ejército ha contaminado un vecindario negro y latino durante 30 años.

Leer en español.