The State Board of Elections and Ethics Enforcement has updated it’s system to reflect all the judicial candidates’ names who have filed.
Candidates who could be affected by Senate Bill 757 — a judicial redistricting bill involving Superior Courts in Mecklenburg, Pender and New Hanover counties and District Courts in Wake and Mecklenburg counties — were not previously put into the same system as everyone else who filed.
Gov. Roy Cooper vetoed the measure Friday night and lawmakers have yet to take an override vote, though the Senate is scheduled to take it up tonight.
Josh Lawson, General Counsel to the Board, said in a Tuesday afternoon email that he worked with voting systems staff to resolve the Statewide Election Information Management System (SEIMS)-related reasons they hadn’t loaded up the candidates in affected districts.
It’s still unclear what will happen if lawmakers vote to change some judicial districts while candidate filing is underway, but some judges have been told they would have to withdraw their notice of candidacy, file a new one and pay a new filing fee (the prior filing fee would be reimbursed in four to six weeks). You can read more about that here.
Lawson previously said the Board is applying laws as they are enacted. He provided an updated list — see below — Tuesday of all the judges who filed for election. NC Policy Watch redacted judges’ addresses for privacy purposes.