North Carolinians Against Gun Violence is launching a new action fund in the wake of several high profile mass shootings of the last few years and the political fight over gun regulation in the state.
“Fighting for good policy alone is no longer sufficient to keep us safe from gun violence,” said Wesley McMahon, the Action Fund chairman, in a statement Thursday. “We all know some politicians will never change their mind on this issue. They won’t even meet us halfway to take steps to reduce gun violence that the majority of people support.”
The action fund will be a 501 (c)(4) nonprofit its organizers says will seek to better inform voters on the gun violence related positions and votes of state and local politicians. Its charter will allow it to “support candidates committed to enacting sensible gun-safety measures and fight against those who would strip North Carolina of strong, effective gun laws.”
“The voting public is looking for ways to hold their elected officials, and the General Assembly, accountable on this issue,” McMahon said in the statement. “The Action Fund will allow for more information to be clearly available so that voters can make choices that align with their values.”
The action fund specifically cites last year’s HB 746, a proposal that would have allowed 18-year olds with no training and no background checks to carry concealed weapons in public.
As Policy Watch reported then, law enforcement organizations, prominent sheriffs and police chiefs across the state came out against the legislation. Ultimately, it didn’t come up for a vote – but its supporters vowed it would be back in some form in future sessions.