As the controversy surrounding his recent racist statements continues to roil around him, President Trump will be speaking in Greenville this evening. In anticipation of Trump’s arrival, analysts at the Center for American Progress have produced a new and powerful North Carolina-specific update to the group’s “Trump’s Broken Promises” website.
Among the findings:
PROFITS AND WAGES
Promise: “I will [be] the greatest jobs President that God ever created … our poorer citizens will get new jobs and higher pay and new hope for their life.” – Donald Trump, October 5, 2016
- This week, the president threatened to veto the House’s effort to increase the federal minimum wage for the first time in 10 years.
- Trump’s economic policies are delivering huge giveaways to the wealthy at the expense of North Carolina families. https://trumpsbrokenpromises.org/north-carolina/#profitswages
- Experts predict that close to 13,000 North Carolina jobs will be lost as a result of President Trump’s erratic steel and aluminum trade policies.
Promise: “I’m asking for your vote so we can repeal and replace Obamacare, and save health care for every family in North Carolina.” – Donald Trump in Raleigh, North Carolina, November 7, 2016
Reality: Trump is trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) through the courts with no replacement:
- 3.9 million North Carolinians with pre-existing conditions will lose protections under ACA repeal.
- 503,000 North Carolinians will lose their health coverage under ACA repeal.
- $4,550: Annual premium increase for the average North Carolina family.
- Trump launched an all-out attack on our health care by trying to repeal and sabotage the Affordable Care Act. https://trumpsbrokenpromises.org/north-carolina/#healthcare
Promise: “[W]e will massively cut taxes for the middle class.” – Donald Trump in Wilmington, North Carolina, November 5, 2016
Reality: 83 percent of the benefits from President Trump’s $2 trillion tax cut go to corporations and the top 1 percent. Many North Carolina families are getting stuck with the bill.
- 361,520 North Carolina families paid more in taxes last year due to Trump’s tax scam.
- $44,760: Average tax cuts for the wealthiest 1 percent.
- $573: Average tax cut for the bottom 80 percent.
- Most of Trump’s $2 trillion tax cut goes to corporations and the rich. Many North Carolina families are getting stuck with the bill. https://trumpsbrokenpromises.org/north-carolina/#taxes
Click here to see the full report.